Remember to teach your children the 5 Steps of the Scientific Method:
- Make an Observation
- Ask a Question
- Form a Hypothesis
- Test the Hypothesis
- Get a Baffling Result
- Check Wikipedia
- Get Distracted by Wikipedia for 15 Minutes*
- Test the Hypothesis Again
- Apologize to the Neighbors for the Broken Window
- Forget What the Original Hypothesis Was
- Try Googling the Answer
- Talk to the Nice Man from the F.B.I. because you Googled a Suspicious Search Term
- Observe Daddy Walking in and saying “You guys only did ONE subject today???”
- Sit Quietly While Mommy Grinds Her Jaw.
To learn more about how the scientific method was invented, check out Susan Wise Bauer’s The History of Western Science: From the Writings of Aristotle to the Big Bang Theory.
*15 minutes f you’re lucky. Realistically, it’ll be more like 45 because–hey, did you know that when Aaron Burr’s wife divorced him, her lawyer was the son of Alexander Hamilton, who’d been killed by Burr in a duel?